How do I get my truck licence to open up my job options?

Written by Neil McLeod


Hi, I would like to get my truck licence to have my job options open, currently just have manual car licence and have held for a long time. What is involved in acquiring my truck licence and how long does it usually take? - Geoff

Answer: Hi Geoff, There are 2 parts to upgrading your licence – written test (10 questions learners – to complete at Qld transport around $25) and practical.

Doesn’t matter which order you do them in you just need to complete both to upgrade the licence – you can do both on the same day if you wish. As long as you’ve held car licence for 2 yrs you can go straight to your HR otherwise 12mths for MR. You must hold a Qld licence to book a test.

There are 2 types of HR:
HR Condition B (manual/auto – single clutch synchro gearbox) is a day course for $710 includes 4hrs training, test and booking fee. You can do this course from Zillmere, Redcliffe, Strathpine, Wynnum, Cleveland, Logan or Beenleigh and on a Saturday at Wynnum only for an extra $90 surcharge. The MR works the same way for $590. We usually book out a couple of weeks in advance.

HR open (road ranger – double clutch non synchro gearbox) usually takes 8 hrs of training before doing test with Qld transport. Costs around $1300 for 8 hrs training, test and booking fee and takes up to a week if you are in a hurry to get it done otherwise at your own pace (we usually do 2hr blocks of training at a time – usually looking at 4 or 5 lessons prior to doing the test).

Read More Comments

Upgrading your truck licence to a higher class

Written by Neil McLeod

If you have a Queensland provisional (Red or Green Plates) or open licence, you can learn to drive the next highest vehicle class.

First year Green plates (12 months) you can upgrade to Medium Rigid Truck (MR) and second year Green plates (24 months) you can up grade to Heavy Rigid Truck (HR)

If your provisional or open licence only authorises you to drive a class of motor vehicle fitted with an automatic transmission, you are also authorised to learn to drive or ride the same or higher class of motor vehicle fitted with a manual transmission.

Read More Comments
Back to Top